Sunday, November 8, 2015

Guest Post from Granny Shanny

So, in one of my latest posts I mentioned that we were about to have our couple meeting with our social worker. Remember I was all anxious about how she would interpret the things I wrote about myself? I blogged some of the worst parts from my autobiography and then I blogged parts from Victors autobiography. I was rather hyped up about this meeting with our social worker and made you really wonder what was about to happen at this meeting.
Well, the meeting happened...nearly 3 weeks ago. And the meeting was really interesting. However, work was kind of crazy in October and excuses excuses I didn't get a chance to write the blog post I had promised.
October wasn't all camel kissing, to be sure.
I was planning a Halloween family event at my museum that had
over 550 people in attendance. So excuses excuses I didn't
have much of a life outside of work...there was hardly even
any time to kiss camels!
Yesterday morning I finally found the time to sit down and write the blog post about that social worker meeting. Then my mother, who is visiting us this weekend, came out of her room and I realized a way I could get the job done much faster.
Well, I did.
I asked her if she would like to write a blog post.
And she agreed!
Then I realized that having a post from grandma-to-be would actually be really really cool and even better than writing my own blog post. She was recently sent a DCFS form asking for her opinion about mine and Victor's potential parenting skills. A post like that could give people a lot of insight into the adoption process and also how excited my mother is about us adopting.
Was that again, too much of the honesty? Saying that my first thought was a short cut and then the second was about how wonderful it would be to have my mother post?
Sorry.
Without further ado, here is my mother's post:
"Last week I completed the questionnaire from The Cradle requesting my feedback about what kind of parents I believe Moriah and Victor will be and what I perceive their relationship with each other to be. I must say, giving thought to these questions simply confirms that Moriah and Victor, and this child will be the luckiest triangle to form; everybody wins! (If we get twins, it would be a square, but considering the parents-to-be….well….a square would make perfect sense because in the coolest of ways, Moriah and Victor are rather square.)
Another of the questions inquired as to how many times each year I “see” Moriah and Victor. This was a tough question since we live in different states.   “Not often enough” didn’t seem like a desirable answer, but of course, I had to tell the truth.  However, I followed that answer with “however, with a grandchild in place, I WILL be making many more trips to Chicago.”  TRUTH!
As I visit with the parents-to-be in Chicago this weekend, following a fantastic work event an hour north of their home, I find myself developing the idea of having that “second pad” in the Chicago area. My new job will be bringing me to the state of Illinois – eventually, at least twice a month. I am thinking an apartment (for starters) would be economical compared to hotel stays for weeks at a time. 
Moriah jokes that they could convert the basement to an apartment for me….I’d have to channel Great Granny Annie to plumb in a bathroom downstairs…..but there are attractive benefits that would come with such a setup…(think Granny Shanny spoiling baby). However, I must shake myself back to reality and return to the journey and simply wait to see when the next forks in the road present themselves and how the journey will continue.
Regardless, I am grateful to God to be a part of this journey with Moriah and Victor. I am VERY excited about being Granny Shanny."
Many thanks to my mother for taking some time out of her busy visitation-of-me schedule to give some insight into the grandmother's perspective of the adoption process! I love you mom!
So the post about that social worker meeting is still forthcoming. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment